17/38 Pointing in the Right Directing

video still

Only walked 10 km. I was very tired. Just before town a sign was saying albergue 1,5 km ‘this’ way, town 500m ‘that’ way. I needed food and reluctantly headed ‘that’ way, as it meant a one-kilometer detour to my lodgings for the night.

In town I saw one of the Spanish pilgrims from the haunted monastery getting ready to continue walking. Without being prompted he pointed to an unsigned albergue only 10 meters away, how did he know I was stopping so early in the day? What a wonderful surprise, although by now I should be used to receiving unexpected guidance. The albergue was tiny, a 6 bed basement dungeon with a toilet and a tepid shower all in one. Just like in the old days I suppose -minus the shower and toilet, they just stank all the way and washed in the last river just before Santiago. No spooky business this night and slept like a lamb.