27/38 The Tide Turned

Video still: hospital Santiago

I was woken from an unfinished deep sleep with sweet pastry and coffee, not quite an appropriate breakfast for a hypoglycaemic. I really had to wake up now and negotiate something more suitable with Spanish-only nurse. The next delivery, although it still contained sugar, was slightly better.

Video still: hospital Santiago

The doctor came and brought some good news. It was not as bad as feared and I could leave the hospital now, instead of staying all weekend. Medication would do the rest. The bleeding should be over in three days.

Video still: hospital Santiago

The tide had turned and washed me out the door and into the streets of Santiago. The surrender was over, I was once again responsible for my body. I strapped on my pack and left the safety of the hospital ever so gently. Suddenly I realised that I was at the finish line, but this was not supposed to be the finish! Finishing or not, walking through the streets of the old city was very emotional. I tried not to look at the cathedral, but I cried nevertheless, just as I had seen in my vision. The weather was very kind. The heavy rain made my tears go unnoticed.