34/38 Lost and found

Video still: Lunch with Collette

I was the last to leave, waiting for the sun to rise at about 8:30 am. After 100 meters I bumped into a Norwegian couple, the first fellow pilgrims I met 34 day ago as I left Jaca . He was having knee trouble and not sure if he could walk another day. Pilgrims have to give up at any stage along the way, the closer you get, the harder it is to accept the idea of not being able to reach Santiago.

I walked alone for most of the day in the river of pilgrims, but also enjoyed wonderful company at times. I can’t remember how I got talking to an Irishwoman but we just clicked from the first word and walked and talked. Nothing seemed to be in need of processing today, maybe just telling my story to others was. I was able to fully enjoy the walking and connecting with pilgrims.

A little later the most wonderful surprise walked passed, one that I had been quietly hoping for but did not dare to think out loud. I had just stopped for my pick-nick lunch as Collette walked passed, who had been such wonderful company in the first week on El Camino through Aragon. What a joy to see her, to be able to catch up with her. I noticed how she had changed, how El Camino had changed her. I could tell the difference because of the time gap. She looked lighter and brighter, how wonderful. It was also wonderful to see a familiar face and to realise that we could possibly reach Santiago at the same time. It gave me a sense that I had caught up rather than ‘lost out’. I felt complete, very content and privileged. That night I went out for dinner with Collette to celebrate meeting each other again in this river of pilgrims.