32/38 If…

Video still: St. James

If I were to walk again I would need to walk as light as I can. There was much to leave behind; my precious sketchbook, my camera and my need two do two-things-at-once (walking and create work). Would I? Could I? I had little choice. I had overloaded. No more drawing, no more filming, no more ‘work’, just walking and Being with El Camino.

One more thing, as if that was not enough, I was not to go back to Camino Primitivo, which had become a Camino “Privato”. I had to go back to Camino Frances, walk among the masses, become one with the river of pilgrims and end my self-inflicted state of disconnection. Only under these conditions could I consider to walk one more week. I had time before my flight departed Santiago, precious time to walk El Camino. Finishing was not the objective, however satisfying that would be, Being on El Camino was.

I threw out anything that remotely looked like excess baggage. I did keep my camera, after a fellow photographer convinced me to hang on to it no matter what. So I did, a choice that would come back to haunt me in a funny way. I bought new shoes, as I suspected that the old ones had contributed the tendonitis, enough of that. Bought a lighter raincoat for 10 Euros, but hung on to my newly acquired umbrella, with the option to throw that one out later if it proved too much. With my pack and provisions sorted I was ready to go back to milestone 111 and resume walking.

Where did all these directives come from? I don't know, I was just happy to receive and obey as it made sense and gave hope.